- Heat the oil over medium-high flame in a large pot.
- Season the fish with salt and pepper.
- Sear the fish fillets on both sides - do not cook through.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the onions and pepper. Sauté until the onion is translucent.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes more.
- Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, garam masala or curry powder, tamarind paste or lemon juice, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 6-8 minutes.
- Add the fish fillets, cover and continue to simmer for 5-10 minutes until the fish is cooked through.
- Serve with rice, ugali, boiled potatoes, boiled cassava or chapatti.
You can substitute fish with shrimp. (You do not have to sear the shrimp)